[time-nuts] Motorola M12+ or M12M questions

Martyn Smith martyn at ptsyst.com
Tue Jul 7 09:56:36 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have been asked a question from a friend and would like to hear what the
time-nuts have to say about the M12+ and M12M GPS receivers.

His questions were:

1) It would be great if you could outline the broad algorithm and bits of
information that go into keeping the 1 pps aligned to UTC.  I want to be
able to can ensure that we're at least aware of all the subtle effects (such
as illustrated in the next question).

2) along with the gps time signal, information is broadcast to relate gps
time to utc. whenever there's a step change in these corrections (such as on
midnight 31/12/2008), how does the unit react?
2.1) in particular, how quickly does the time code reflect the change,
and is the 1pps affected in any way?

Time-Nuts.  Any help on these two questions would be appreciated

Steve Jones