[time-nuts] 10811 crystal orientation

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Jul 10 00:44:47 UTC 2009

Don Latham wrote:
> Thanks. Tom.  Glad to see the references.
> I've some experience with clock time difference, as I showed an
> astonishing number of years ago that the phase changes between two
> clocks as measured by their respective LORAN-C signals was due to
> changes in the atmospheric index of refraction for 100 KHz radio waves
> rather than some wierd effect of general relativity.
> Maybe some similar inattention to Occam's Razor was responsible for the
> shift associated with the eclipse. I will be observing this month's
> eclipse in China. Unfortunately, I will not have an assembly of atomic
> clocks to check. I'll look at my watch :-).
> Solar eclipses do have an effect on the earth's "fair-weather" electric
> field; I have measured it. This is due to an effect on local
> boundary-layer air motions very close to the surface from loss of solar
> heating.
> I can see absolutely no reason for a change in atomic clock behavior,
> however, if it is carefully shielded from this temperature pulse. Maybe
> we should also check during the next Grand Conjunction just in case.

I think temperature shock to oscillators and atomsphear, along with loss
of UV light could very well explain most if not all of the effects. I
think whatever gravitational things people speculate on is many digits
below just the temperature effect of the oscillator itself.

For sats, it has already been shown that they have a tempco issue which
occurs with lunar shadow, as it correlates well and is actually an
expected mechanism.

Rule out the simple causes first, engineers as so darn good at inventing
complex causes as their brain goes bezerk.

Cheers,
Magnus