[time-nuts] 10811 crystal orientation

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Jul 10 01:01:18 UTC 2009

iovane at inwind.it wrote:
> You are right, Tom, there are two mixed topics.
>
> On the on-topic subject, instead of making tests to measure the frequency
> dependence on orientation, It would be much more interesting looking at
> possible ADEV dependences on orientation, particularily for small tau (the
> bottom of the curve). I can't do the test myself now, but would be pleased
> to see it done. For someone here it should be easy. I suggest comparing
> the measurements made with the crystal on the horizontal plane vs a
> vertical plane.
>
> On the pseudo-science subject, I would recall that the experiment you
> pointed us to (null result) was made in Germany for NASA under NASA invitation.
> The results of the tests are in conflict with previous tests made in China by
> S.W.Zhou -cesium clocks changed rate- and known to Nasa (I gave the link some
> posts back), and the matter is not yet solved. Maybe time-nuts could help in
> the process of understanding what happened.

I am not sure that the conclusion can be made in the Zhou paper.
Environmental issues can upset both the clocks and measurement equipment
even when comparing two clocks at the same site. He does identify that
ionospheric issues does not apply to clocks at the same site, but the
pair-comparisions fails to de-correlate link-issues from clock issues.
Environmental parameters like temperature, pressure¸ ionospheric TEC
values etc. is lacking.

The Zhou paper should be taken with a grain of salt. It does report on a
number of deviations measured during eclipses. More investigations is
needed to characterize the cause of these deviations.

Anybody happens to know the temperature-profile of a typical eclipse?
Rought scetch will do.

Cheers,
Magnus