[time-nuts] Low cost multifrequency reference

John Green wpxs472 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 20:27:42 UTC 2009

This really more about frequency than time but I thought it might be of
interest. The Agilent 8920 series of instruments have an A15 module, the
reference, which takes an external 10 MHz input and locks an internal TCXO
to it then producing 1 GHz, 500 MHz, 20 MHz, 10 MHz, 1 MHz or 200 KHz
outputs. I have an 08920-61191 which seems to be identical to the
08920-60319. They are available on eBay sometimes for around $40 to $50. I
plan on locking the 8920 here at work to my Z3801, an OCXO or TCXO I want to
compare to the ref in of the module, and counting the 1 GHz output with the
8920. This will multiply the error between the two 10 MHz sources by 100
making drift easier to see. Probably not the best way to do it, but quick
and easy. Documentation is available on the Agilent website.