[time-nuts] surplus carrier phase measurement-capable receivers (was Thunderbolt firmware differences)

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Mon Jul 13 08:59:26 UTC 2009

> What typically-available surplus receivers do carrier phase
> measurements[1]?   I'm close to putting up a choke ring antenna I scored
> off of the surplus market on the roof -- I don't think the wife is going
> to let me build a proper monument in the yard.  :-)     Hence, I, too,
> am interested in getting a precise antenna fix.   I 'spose I could hire
> a surveyor, but that's cheating.
>
> -ch

Somewhat dated... but since we are looking at surplus...

        http://home-2.worldonline.nl/~samsvl/oemtable.htm

I once did get phase measurements out of a Garmin GPSMAP76 with this

        http://home.comcast.net/~dmilbert/softs/garbin.htm

Do not know the status of more current Garmin receivers.

Teqc's list of supported format will give you further information.

        http://facility.unavco.org/software/teqc/tutorial.html#sec_15

Helenav sells converters for many L1 only phase capable receivers.

        http://www.helenav.nl/

To sum it up. Many (most?) surplus receivers are capable of phase
measurements. You have to look out for "crippled" versions, where phase
output might be an software option not loaded into the particular receiver
you find.

> [1]. I did enough work w/surplus SuperStar receivers that I convinced
> myself I could flash the carrier phase-capable software onto the board,
> but that's stealing.  I am interested in receivers where I can  get
> legitimate access to carrier phase measurements.

The superstar family is actually quit good at phase measurement. As you
have noted not all receivers have the correct options loaded to enable
phase output.

With Novatel having EOLed the SuperStarII last year(?), the old CMC
receivers are all out "in the cold". I think though that you could still
contact either Novatel or CMC Electroncs to order the software option for
your SuperStar receivers.

There are also higher end receiver appearing in the surplus market. Both
L1 OEM-cards from Ashtech, Trimble, Novatel, Magnavox and also geodetic
dual frequency receivers from the above and Topcon, Javad, Leica, Sokkia
and some others.

Beware though that old surplus equipment are sometimes priced "higher than
new" on "the bay" and elsewhere.

--

    Björn