[time-nuts] surplus carrier phase measurement-capable receivers (was Thunderbolt firmware differences)

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 13 13:38:50 UTC 2009

On 7/13/09 1:59 AM, "bg at lysator.liu.se" <bg at lysator.liu.se> wrote:

>> What typically-available surplus receivers do carrier phase
>> measurements[1]?   I'm close to putting up a choke ring antenna I scored
>> off of the surplus market on the roof -- I don't think the wife is going
>> to let me build a proper monument in the yard.  :-)     Hence, I, too,
>> am interested in getting a precise antenna fix.   I 'spose I could hire
>> a surveyor, but that's cheating.

 "hire a surveyor".. Really... This is time-nuts.
You should get yourself a good quality theodolite (surplus, or make one.. If
Tycho Brahe can do it, so can you) and start making those astronomical
measurements yourself. I'll bet there's even astromonical surveying mailing
lists.  Procedures wise, the BLM has a manual online (since much of the
survey work for the U.S. Public Lands Survey System (PLSS) is based on
astronomical methods...).  A copy of Davis and Foote (or whatever the
current authors are) wouldn't be useless, either.

10cm accuracy is a big challenging with a standard theodolite.  You can read
a Wild T2 to a second of arc.. That's on the order of a few tens of meters
position accuracy.. But I think with multiple measurements, one can bring
the uncertainty down.  There's a great CDROM available for $50 from the
Institute of Navigation with all the papers on celestial nav