[time-nuts] Accurate Thunderbolt position

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 14 22:28:10 UTC 2009

Well,  I implemented a test of getting the tbolt to lock in a precise location.  After entering 3D-fix mode,  it would fairly reliably output a location within 1 foot of my surveyed (within 4mm lat/lon) spot within 15 minutes of observations.

The problem is when I see the location match,  I issue the command to enter position hold mode...  but the receiver takes 2 seconds to get around to processing that command...  during which time it has done two more fixes... which are no longer within the desired error radius...  craptastic.

I guess I can just keep repeating the process until the receiver stops within the desired radius...  which could  take quite a while (if ever).