[time-nuts] OT - Feynman lecture series on Physics hosted by Microsoft

Mike Monett xde-l2g3 at myamail.com
Thu Jul 16 07:41:30 UTC 2009

> RapidShare has a stated limit of one download per day, but they
> allowed me to download again after waiting only one hour.

> http://www.filestube.com/806d48c7ae12180d03e9,g/The-Character-of-Physical-Law-1-myTVblog-org-001.html

> Sorry. I'll try to find a better link when I have some time.

> Mike

The RapidShare wait time is more like 5 or ten minutes, just enough
time for a cup of coffee. The 100MB files take about 13 minutes to
download on DSL, so you can download the entire series in the
background while working on something else.

The result is well worth the effort. This is the Messenger Series of
lectures at Cornell. It was standing room only.

Feynman is an amazing speaker, and the avi files mean you can move
them to a different operating system when you decide to move to
Ubuntu later:)

After downloading, rename the files to avi.001, avi.002, etc., and
save the following in a batch file in the same folder as the avi
files:

@echo off
cls
echo.
echo Concatenating files. This takes a minute or so...
echo.
copy /b avi.001+avi.002+avi.003+avi.004+avi.005+avi.006+avi.007 physlaw.avi
echo.
echo Done.

The /b option means to copy in binary format. An end-of-file mark is
not placed at the end of the copied file.

This creates a 664MB avi file. If you don't have an AVI viewer, VLC
is very effective for large files like this:

http://www.videolan.org/

The entire file takes 56 minutes to view. VLC allows you to start
anywhere in the file by moving the cursor, so you can keep track of
where you stopped and return to that point later. This allows you to
watch the entire performance without interruption, or return to any
part that interests you.

When you have verified the file is good, remember to erase the
originals to save disk space.

The Feynman lectures are very interesting, and give you a chance to
hold a part of history. They are well worth the effort to download
and keep.

Mike