[time-nuts] New Thunderbolts available without a power suppy?

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Thu Jul 16 12:27:28 UTC 2009

> "Ok, but not very good, see :
> http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/tbolt/noise.htm
stanley"

Between the information contained in that link and my own observations of
RFI when using a switch-mode power supplies (SMPS), I've begun using only
linear power supplies for use with my GPS-DO devices.

The internal DC/DC converters in my HP 58540A and Brandywine GPS-4 were
creating HF radio interference.  Rather than fight and try to abate the RFI,
the DC converters were discarded and now both units are powered directly
from a PowerOne dual linear supply (+15VDC, +5VDC).  Switching interference
is now completely gone.

If the Thunderbolts require a triple supply, PowerOne and International
Power both make industrial-grade, triple-output linear supplies for
approximately USD $100.  Anyone using their GPS-DO in the presence of an HF
receiver may want to consider this as a powering option.

Paul, W9AC