[time-nuts] US ebay sellers who won't ship outside the US

Lux, James P (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 16 14:25:59 UTC 2009

On 7/16/09 12:38 AM, "Jim Palfreyman" <jim77742 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't forget books are not covered under ITAR.
>
> That's how the original PGP got distributed legally.
>
> Jim
>
> 2009/7/16 Robert Atkinson <robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk>

Not without some hassles for Phil Zimmerman (although it was ostensibly the
distribution of PGP on bbses that triggered the 3 year investigation)

ITAR and EAR are complex and, as the export controls folks at work tell us,
do not make sense to engineers and scientists, so do not expect to figure it
out from logic or reading the rules.  The decisions are ALL subjective and
in the minds of State or Commerce.  You submit your application, some time
later it is denied or accepted.  If you don't apply for an export license,
there's no "good faith" exception for a violation.

Depending on what you do for a living or your where you live, having the FBI
show up outside your apartment one morning, just to have a chat, may be good
or bad. Or having them come by your employer on your first day of work and
ask (nicely) "can we have a few minutes with your new employee, alone, to
discuss some sensitive matters."

In my case, it wasn't a big deal, it was a small company and they were
actually impressed.  And I already had a rumor reputation in the apartments
because of antennas off the balcony and such, so it just added to the
mystique of "that guy with the racks of electronic equipment and wires"

But, these are different days.