[time-nuts] OT - Feynman lecture series on Physics hosted by Microsoft

Mike Monett xde-l2g3 at myamail.com
Sat Jul 18 20:41:05 UTC 2009

"Didier Juges" <time-nuts at ko4bb.com> wrote:

>What is the password for the video file?
>
>Or is there another place to download them from that does not require a
>password?
>
>Thanks
>
>Didier KO4BB

Didier,

Sorry, I could not find a password for the file. Also, it is only one of
the 7 lectures in the series, and I could not find the others except on
payware sites, and there is no way to tell the quality until after you have
paid and downloaded them.

The only place they are all available is on the Microsoft site

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/index.html

You have to install Silverlight. I tried installing it in WINE, but it
wouldn't install.

It appears the best alternative is to run WinXP in VirtualBox. It is free,
but don't use the OSE version in Synaptic if you are running Ubuntu. Get
the PUEL version directly from SUN. I tried the latest version 3.x but it
has bugs. I recommend using the previous version 2.2.4 available here:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds

Unplug the LAN cable when installing XP to prevent it from automatically
updating files. I found it wrecks the installation, and I turn automatic
updates off as soon as I get the chance.

When you have XP running, share the entire Linux desktop folder so you can
easily transfer any files. As I mentioned in a previous post, do not use
the snapshot feature. It will get corrupted and you will lose the entire
installation. Instead, for backups, copy the entire .Virtualbox folder to
another backup folder. I use .VB01, .VB02, etc. Now you can revert to any

The Feynman lectures are extremely good. It is really worth the time and
effort it takes to view them.

Best,

Mike