[time-nuts] Tbolt not talking

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 22 20:27:03 UTC 2009

What I have found to be helpful is first,
narrow down the problem to the PC OR the Tbolt,
Disconnect the Tbolt,
Run any of the Tbold monitor programs
In whatever operating system you have
Open the "View Raw data screen"
Enable both the "show received and transmit data"
Connect Pin 2 to pin3 at the Tbold end of the serial cable
Send any command by way of the monitor, and see if the same text is received.
If the PC can not send and receive it's own RS232 data, Fix the PC side,
If the PC I/O is working connect the Tbolt and fix it.

warren

*****************
John Green
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:03:01 -0700
I got one of the Chinese Tbolts off eBay and when I powered it up and ran
Tboltmon, I got nothing. I checked the com port and it is correct. I am
using a USB to serial converter but I don't believe that is what the problem
is since I have used it to program some Motorola radios that have a
reputation for being picky about their serial connections. I will try a
standard serial port but are there other things I should look at? I did look
at the manual but didn't see anything that might help. This is my first
experience with Tbolts. I already have a Z3801 and recall having some
problems getting it to talk. Any help appreciated.