[time-nuts] Measuring phase shift between 1 Hz DMTD signals by I+Q processing

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Jul 26 00:29:24 UTC 2009

If one uses a mixer output frequency of several kHz then one can avoid
the flicker noise region if one uses a high pass filter between the ADCs
and the mixer preamps.

Does such a system have a performance advantage over direct RF sampling?
Perhaps it does if and only if the phase noise floor of the lower
bandwidth ADCs that are used is lower than the noise floor of the ADCs
that would be required to sample the RF signals directly?
The noise floor of state of the art ADCs suitable for direct RF sampling
is around -150dBFS/Hz.
The noise floor of  "typical" high resolution ADC(AD7762, AD7641)
capable of sampling at around 1MSPS or so appear to be similar.

Bruce