[time-nuts] Position accuracy and Thunderbolt performance

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 26 17:45:40 UTC 2009

Ahhh,  that's the 64 nanosecond question.   I did a lot of self surveys with a geodetic grade antenna over a spot known to within less than a millimeter.   Most results were with 6 feet lat/lon  6 meters altitude (hey, can I get a job at JPL landing spacecraft?  I can mix english and metric in the same measurement).

But,  the key word is most.  Some were off over 50 feet lat/lon and 100 meters altitude.  Unless you have a known position to compare against you may never know for sure.  And,  if you have a precisely known location,  you can't enter it into the Tbolt with sufficient accuracy since that message uses single precision numbers.

I am doing a couple more tests with a 50 foot error and another with all the error in the altitude (those first two graphs were with lat and lon offset by around 141.4 feet and the altitude exact)

Or. to put it another way, what could we reasonably  expect to see as a position error if the T'bolt is  allowed to self survey?