[time-nuts] Service manual for HP 106B Quartz Oscillator

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Jul 31 00:05:43 UTC 2009

Tom Van Baak wrote:
> Some long-term plots of a hp 106b are shown here:
> http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/hp106b/
> but I see that old page doesn't include any recent short-term
> performance plots.
>
> /tvb

That is awesome performance.  Out of the hundreds or thousands
of 10811's and E1938's I've looked at, I've never seen this
kind of aging.  1E-11/month is actually good for an Rb; many are worse.
We barely met this number when we designed the HP 10816 Rb.

Len Cutler had a cylindrical oven assembly from a 106 on
display in his office.  I wonder if he knew just how good these
were.  I think he got to exercise his perfectionist tendancies
on this one, without any "supervision" from the usual suspects.

Rick Karlquist N6RK