[time-nuts] Datum 9200 etal

Russell Rezaian rrezaian at motorola.com
Mon Jun 1 01:01:36 UTC 2009

Hi Mike,

I have been thinking about this particular idea for a few months now.

I've read  a number of references that mentioned that at one point in
the past TrueTime made a GPS antenna that would drive the 468 clocks
with a signal that resembled the signal that came from the GOES
satellites.

I don't think they made very many of them.  I've seen references to
them on the net in various places, but I've never seen one myself.

However, reading about these started me thinking.  How hard would it
be to build a similar gizmo oneself?

Probably not impossible.  The GOES code was fairly well documented.
Only problem is that I am a software person, so I am frighteningly
clueless about how hard this would actually be from a hardware
perspective.  I know the 468 clocks used down converter antennas, so
one would need to generate a carrier at the frequency the clocks
expected and modulate that.

So, the question is, has anyone else already played with this idea?
More importantly has anyone who knows more about hardware than I do
given this any serious thought?
--
Russell