[time-nuts] HP/Agilent 5335A

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Jun 1 08:30:54 UTC 2009

Bob Q skrev:
> I'm thinking of buying an HP 5335A to upgrade from my old HP 5315A.  I notice prices on *Bay range from $100 (missing button on power switch) to $2100.  Any thoughts on what a fair price for one is?

Being a proud owner of a HP 5335A I would say that if you find a good
one in the 200-300 USD range I think you would be happy. It's a good
universal counter and not very hard to work with. While I have better
counters in the lab (SR-620, HP5370B, CNT-90 among others) I still like
the much more intuitive interface of the 5335A. I would not pay more
than 500 USD unless I badly needed one NOW.

The HP 5315A is of the same era, and uses the same MRC chip (also used
in HP 5334A and I suspect 5314A), but lacks the interpolators which
brings it up to 1 ns timing resolution. I gave a HP 5315A away yesterday
to a friend which is without a counter at all, I hope it will be useful
to him.

Cheers,
Magnus