[time-nuts] Thunderbolt stability and ambient temperature

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jun 11 02:09:26 UTC 2009

phk at phk.freebsd.dk said:
>> Can I get reflections without some inductance?
>> Is there any inductance in a system of alternating
>> layers of insulation/storage?

> I think you are overstretching the badly chosen nomenclatures
> parallels to electricity.

It was actually a (somewhat?) serious question on several grounds.

Can I get reflections from a lumped circuit model of a transmission line made
out of just Rs and Cs?  If so, I can probably do the same in the thermal
world.

Can I get reflections in a thermal context?  Bruce's URLs say yes, but my
math is rusty enough that I can't quickly understand what's going on.

If a thermal problem can generate reflections, does that mean it also has
something corresponding to inductance?  If so, what is it?

It's possible that the key idea is time-delay.  In the electrical world, a
delay is a transmission line which has both C and L.  I'm not sure what the
one-dimensional equivalent in the thermal world is.

What's the speed-of-light equivalent in the thermal world?