[time-nuts] Thunderbolt stability and ambient temperature

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Thu Jun 11 22:11:06 UTC 2009

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <AC8514A8EEB148259E3CD49B8E468564 at athlon>, "Ulrich Bangert" writes:
>>> I'm not talking about crystal ovens, I'm talking about
>>> timekeeping kit in general: how to filter high frequency
>>> temperature fluctuations out, so the PLL does not have to
>>> deal with them.
>
>> If you apply an overall change in temperature insulation to the ambient [...]
>
> Which is why I suggested using an old, unplugged fridge.
>
> Your typical time-nuts kit will not have a heatflow that can warm the
> interior of a fridge signifiantly, but the thermal inertia of the fridge
> is perfect for reducing temperature fluctuations.

I really hate the idea of using an old fridge.  After any amount
of use, they have enough spilled food and drink in the cracks and
crevices to smell really funky if you let them warm up with the
door closed.

I would much rather bang together a small closet out of
2x4's and insulate it with fiber glass than use a fridge.

That said, the welding shops often use an old fridge for
storage of welding rods.  They rewire the door switch so
that the light stays on all the time, and replace the bulb
with a 100W bulb.  The fridge will heat up to near the
boiling point of water from just the heat of the light bulb.

My environmental chamber will heat up to 70C from just the
heat of the 60W bulb in the chamber.

-Chuck Harris