[time-nuts] Thunderbolt stability and ambient temperature

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jun 12 02:36:07 UTC 2009

Perhaps the answer is somewhat more prosaic.

Radiation and convective losses from the hot end of the bar are significant.
In particular the radiative loss is (as a first approximation)
proportional to the difference of the 4th powers of the bar temperature
and ambient temperature.
When one modifies the model to include radiative losses near the hot end
that are in effect switched off by cooling then some overshoot can occur
at the hand held end of the bar.

Bruce