[time-nuts] Thunderbolt stability and ambient temperature

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sat Jun 13 10:17:10 UTC 2009

Hi Rex,

I just did something similar.  I was doing some heavy grinding on a
6 inch long rod that was to become a new tool, and as I started
to perceive that the rod was getting hot, I dunked the end I was
grinding into cool water.  And, I almost immediately started to feel
the rod, where I was gripping it, cooling down.

I am certain that you were just moments away from feeling the heat
reach your grip when you decided to cool the rod you were working.
It would have gotten to your hand at the same time whether or not
you had decided to plunge the rod into water.

Even though I don't recall hearing anyone make the same claim as you
have, I do have a couple of books on blacksmithing, from the days of
yore, that I will skim to see if anyone observed the same effect.

-Chuck Harris