[time-nuts] NTS-200 Antenna Power Mod

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Tue Jun 16 23:38:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 07:37:10PM -0700, Bruce Lane wrote:
> Fellow clockers,
>
> 	I just got done reinstalling my TrueTime NTS-200 network time server in a different rack. This required, among other things, installation of a new antenna on the opposite side of the house from where my original one is.
>
> 	The new antenna was a Symmetricom/HP 58532A, which requires 5V bias. Unfortunately, the NTS-200 was designed to supply 12V, and there is no easy jumper or software setting to change that.
>
> 	So -- After a bit of work, I came up with a minimally-destructive hardware modification to change the +12 feed to +5.
>
> 	If anyone else owns an NTS-200, and you've been wanting to use it with a 5V antenna, drop me a note and I'll be happy to send you pictures and details.
>
> 	Fair warning: It requires fine-point soldering, a bit of wire-wrap wire, and a lot of patience.

I just got an NTS-200 (12V antenna), and only have 5V HP antennas, so am very
interested in this modification. Any detailes would be greatly appreciated.

I'd also be interested in talking to any other NTS-200/150/TimeVault owners
off-list with some questions about firmware versions.

Sorry for posting such an old reply to the list, but Bruce's mail server
won't accept my e-mail directly, with a message about Verizon needing
to clean up their spammer mess. My mail server is on my own registered
IP space and ASN, in no way related to Verizon, but just one of my
inbound DNS-listed MX servers is on a static IP from Verizon, and
apparently that's enough... Ironically, I run a spam filtering business.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com)
Web: http://mgtinternet.com/