[time-nuts] DMTD question

Corby Dawson cdelect at juno.com
Wed Jun 17 18:38:57 UTC 2009

Hi!

I have been running a bunch of oscillator plots using a DMTD unit built
for the NBS in the early 80s that I picked up last year and repaired.

I am using an offset oscillator with a 1Hz offset (an FTS1200) for the
L.O. and select the 1Hz BW on the unit.

I have fed both inputs from the following oscillators thru a power
splitter to evaluate the baseline.

The Allen Deviation at 1 second for three different oscillators driving
both inputs at the same levels and having the delay set to the same small
value are.
Delay  100us
Osc 1 - 1.05E-13th
Osc 2 - 9.50E-14th
Osc 3 - 2.00E-13th

At larger delay values the Allen Deviation at 1 second for Osc 3 rises
much faster than the other two.

Delay 100ms
Osc 1 - 3.10E-13th
Osc 2 - 3.50E-13th
Osc 3 - 3.00E-12th

Can I deduce any useful information  from these numbers?

Obvoisly Osc 3 is not as good as the other two at the 1 second tau!

Plots run against other oscillators also show that Osc 3 causes a rise in
the value at 1 second.

Thanks,

Corby Dawson