[time-nuts] Z3805 initial behaviour after power up

Francesco Ledda frledda at verizon.net
Wed Jun 17 19:53:43 UTC 2009

A third order PPL has better sideband suppression.  The tracking capability
depends upon the phase range of the phase detector.  If 1:1 phase comparison
and a XOR phase detector is used, the range is 180 degrees. Dividers on the
feedback portion of the PLL increase the phase range of the phase detector.
For example, if the expected jitter is 10UI, a divider larger than 10 must
be used, to maintain lock under all conditions. A monotonically decreasing
phase delta, on the phase detector, still means that the PLL is locked.

The phase/frequency detector, avoids the need for a frequency aquisition
aid.  Once a phase reversal is detected by the flip flops in the phase/freq
detector, it goes back to phase detector mode.

My experience is that most fancy syncrhonizer for telecom application
(Stratum, LORAN and GPS) use start-stop phase detector with averager in
front of the AC-DC gain circuits.  Changing the closed loop bandwidth of the
PLL on the fly is not easy, due to secondary effects (done that many times).