[time-nuts] OT favorite signal generator?

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Jun 19 12:32:29 UTC 2009

Budget?  Freq range?

HP 8657As are good general-purpose SGs.  Reliable, serviceable, and
reasonably clean.  Avoid 8656s and 8660s IMHO unless you can get one for
next to nothing.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty there have been some inexpensive
8662As on the surplus market lately.  They are cleaner than most, have an
actual tuning knob, and include sweep capability.  They are complex,
sometimes maintenance-intensive, and very hard to ship safely, and many of
the ones you find on eBay have lived hard lives.

-- john, KE5FX