[time-nuts] TNC connectors

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Tue Jun 23 10:11:36 UTC 2009

In a message dated 23/06/2009 11:00:13 GMT Daylight Time, dave at uk-ar.co.uk
writes:

However,  it's years since I saw a 75r version, so I don't know for sure.
Doing that  with BNC's will lead to a flaky connection, as the centre pin
on the 75r  ones is much smaller.  The other way round (50r plug into 75r
socket)  will damage the socket.  As TNC's are very similar to BNC's  ???

----------------
This belief about BNC connectors seems to be an "urban myth", although
admittedly one that I shared for many years.

Whether or not it has been true at some time in the past, or of some
manufacturers, I don't know but the following is a current quote from
Amphenol........

---------------

Two distinct types of 75 Ω BNCs are available, and  both mate with each
other and with 50 Ω BNCs. Type 1 is  designated 75 Ω BNC-T1 and provides
constant 75 Ω performance with low VSWR DC – 4 GHz. Type 2 is designated  75 Ω
BNC-T2 and is usable with low reflection DC - 1  GHz. For applications above
1 GHz, Type 1 is recommended.

The full text of this can be found at....

_http://www.amphenolconnex.com/products/bnc.asp_
(http://www.amphenolconnex.com/products/bnc.asp)

and I've seen similar comments from other manufacturers.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR