[time-nuts] Orbiting crystals

Lester Veenstra m0ycm at veenstras.com
Mon Jun 29 18:54:20 UTC 2009

Now this begins to make some sense;

Of course the geosync satellites do go into eclipse season trice a year,
during which each day the satellite is passing through the Earth's shadow
for a variable period.

To pass though the shadow of a solar lunar eclipse, the eclipse would have
to be visible on the ground at satellite sub-satellite point ( nominal, the
equator). For the Inmarsat's this would be at:

24.8 E
25.1 E
64.5 E
109.0 E
143.5 E
178.1 E
218.0 $
261.9 E
262.4 E
306.0 E
344.5 E

But, since there are satellites virtually anywhere along the arc, there is
no reason to restrict observations to INMARSAT. But INMARSATs do provide a
easy target  for an observer with simple L-Band equipment.

Of course I would expect to see a shift in an onboard crystal frequency (but
not a "jump") simply from the thermal changes.

Lester B Veenstra  MØYCM K1YCM
lester at veenstras.com
m0ycm at veenstras.com
k1ycm at veenstras.com