[time-nuts] Thunderbolt performance vs temperature sensor

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 7 00:03:36 UTC 2009

Hello Said,

The Tbolt that I used for the test was well aged (several months of operation) and stable prior to the tests.  It was only powered down for the 10 minutes or so that it took to swap out the old sensor.

I tried to choose data sets that were fairly comparable temperature wise.  I also chose the basic measurement interval to be 1 hour so that temperature would not be changing much over the hour.  I am fairly confident that the results reflect changes due to the temperature sensor.

I wanted to make the measurement PPS drift / degree C change / hour but the later model (low res) temp sensor chip would seldom produce a recordable change in temperature over a one hour period.