[time-nuts] Shrinking Atomic Clocks

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Sun Mar 15 22:33:13 UTC 2009

At 05:46 PM 3/15/2009, Thomas A. Frank wrote...
>14 March 2009 by Anil Ananthaswamy
>ATOMIC clocks, currently the size of fridges,

A 40 year old HP 5060A is smaller than a small refrigerator.

I challenge Anil to tell us what fridge he's thinking of which is the
size of an Efratom FRS. (Although you could easily make one using a
peltier cooler, that's clearly not what he meant to imply.)

The article and headline hype a reduction in size, but there's no
detail about that, just that it "could be used in space-based
experiments," and we already have atomic clocks in space.

What "magazine" was this from?

(Anil obviously missed the real significance, which is a potential
increase in accuracy, not a decrease in size)