[time-nuts] HP-z3801a GPS reference receiver

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Mar 21 18:10:13 UTC 2009

> I've been using a HP-z3801a GPS reference receiver and the GPSCon
> software for my own SNTP time server. Both have  worked well, and I am
> very pleased; better than the  windows machine it is on.

> I'd like to move it to a Linux machine. Is anyone aware of simular
> Linux software for the HP-z3801a?

I don't know what GPScon does or what you want to do.

ntpd supports the Z3801A.

If you want good timekeeping, you need the PPS mods to the kernel.  I've lost
track of where to get them and/or how well they work with recent kernels.

You might have better luck with FreeBSD.  PPS is well supported.

If you want to see the status display page, I don't know of a simple way to
get that with ntpd.  It has the option to dump the status screen to a log
file.  (I've never tried it, just looked at the code.)  It shouldn't be hard
to write a hack to watch the log file and display the latest status page.

That would use up a lot of disk space, ballpark 3 GB per day, so you would
probably want a cron job to automate deleting/archiving/compressing the log
files.