[time-nuts] GPS IIR-20 Launched

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 24 23:35:58 UTC 2009

Dave Ackrill skrev:
> Magnus Danielson wrote:
>> Fellow time-nuts,
>>
>> GPS IIR-20 was succsessfully launched:
>> http://www.losangeles.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123141115
>>
>> Expect it to show up on the receivers eventually. Currently only PRN01
>> is unused.
>
> I see that jargon and a combination of business and space 'speak' is
> still something that goes on.
>
> For instance is "a unified Delta II and GPS team that sustained a laser
> focus on mission success" just two groups who worked together to make
> sure that the 'stuff' worked?
>
> And does "The GPS constellation is being modernized to improve
> operations, sustainment, and overall performance of GPS services for the
> warfighter, international, commercial and civil users. These improved
> capabilities ensure GPS remains the gold standard for positioning,
> navigation and timing service" mean that the GPS system will be useful
> for the military and other people, and make sure that it works more
> efficiently?

Oh... that's just things to fill up the space after the initial few key
sentences... send some official thanks to the people working hard and
let them feel important. You are not expected to read it with scientific
goggles on...

> Over here we have an organisation dedicated to plain English.  See
> <http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/>
>
> Maybe some of the organisations 'over there' might benefit?  ;-)
>
> For the absence of doubt, this is meant tongue in cheek because we have
> our own overload of business and scientific jargon to get through as well...

Well... there are many ways to say things. They can be efficient from
different points of view... :)

We should have a L5 demo signal in a couple of weeks. I will not have a
L5 receiver before first pass... I think...

More launch details here:
http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d340/status.html

I think there will be another GPS IIR-M sat this summer, GPS-IIR(M)-21

Cheers,
Magnus