[time-nuts] GPS->audio interface

Dean Weiten dmw at weiten.com
Mon May 11 04:13:29 UTC 2009

Hi there,

It turns out that the NTP package has a built-in utility called "tg"
which can generate IRIG-B time code.  I'm not familiar with what you are
trying to do.  If you have a computer that is keeping accurate time
(through your GPS clock??), you can generate a nice audio IRIG-B.  It
was developed to allow testing of the NTP IRIG-B **input** function.
NTP has a bunch of front ends for all kinds of code inputs.

I played with tg from NTP 4.2.2p3 quite extensively some time ago, and
created a version with a bunch more options, including IEEE 1344
extensions, and corrected a couple of bugs etc.  Also, I play a bit with
the timing to allow "tg" to omit or insert strategic single cycles to
correct for the clock error on the audio card.   Plus much more, mostly
to help me test an IRIG-B decoder.

Oh yes, I also did a bunch of adjustments to the WWV(H) output option
from "tg".  Not many folks care about WWV(H) any more, though :-)

I'm not sure if any of you would be interested in this modified "tg".
Let me know if you do.  I had submitted it to the NTP gurus some time
ago, and they didn't seem too terribly interested.

Regards,

Dean Weiten.