[time-nuts] Help needed: Jupiter-T TU60-D120

Lasse lasse.moell at swipnet.se
Tue May 12 19:41:42 UTC 2009

Richard,
I think I finally have figured out how this GPS-receiver do operate
(with some hand-holding from James Miller).

At power-on it will transmit "ff 81 9c 04 01 00 00 00 64 79 00 00 00 00"
and then wait for command.
This erronously led me to think it would be in Navman binary mode,
*Wrong* !
It only listens for a subset of Motorola binary commands, despite the
previously transmitted string.
Secondly, it seems best to let the receiver have a few seconds of
start-up before sending commands, or it seems to go deaf.

Once I had this figured out, it is simple to change to Navman binary
with the @@Wb command if that's what you want. One thing is that
Labmon and WinLabmon seems outdated as several of the commands are
unrecognized.

Finally, the receiver do retain settings for a few minutes (hours?) even
with-out the back-up capacitor, so a quick power-loss will not mean that
the GPS is back to factory reset.
Letting is be off for several hours WILL turn int into factor reset state.

Hopefully my findings will help others struggling to get their TU60-D120
going.

Now a "simple" question... I intend to turn this into a GPSDO, using the
scheme of James Miller, but would like to have some indication on the
status of the system. By setting the @@En command I should be able to
have no 1PPS as long as there are no satellites tracked. If the GPS
acheive lock, it should then turn on 1PPS, flashing LED would be a neat
indicator. Now this should be farily easy by sending a few commands at
start-up using a microcontroller. The question is would it be beneficial
to set the receiver to HOLD POSITION and turn on the T-RAIM function?
Would this affect the stability of the 10kHz/1PPS signal?? It seems the
GPS has these functions turned off as default.

Comments are most welcome!

/Lasse SM5GLC