[time-nuts] Linux time servers

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu May 14 20:47:53 UTC 2009

> I now have a PC on my home system that has Linux fedora on it and I'm
> keen to learn how to make it a useful new member of my network.

It's probably already running ntpd and setup to get time from a few pool
machines out on the net.

Start by doing:
  ntpq -p
If that works, look in /etc/ntp.conf

The official ntp documentation starts as html files.  There may be scripts
that turn them into man pages.  They may be out of date, misleading or
missing a lot of critical info.  The html stuff may get installed on your
system.  If not, be sure to get the html pages that correspond to the version
of ntpd that you are running.

If you want better time, you need a local source of time.  ntpd calls them
refclocks.

If you want seriously good time, you need the PPS mods to the kernel.  I've
lost track of where they come from and/or what the current status is.