[time-nuts] FreeBSD, NetBSD, or Minix-III?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat May 16 15:09:07 UTC 2009

In message <4A0EBDEE.2020703 at erols.com>, Chuck Harris writes:

>A "watch" isn't exactly a challenge to an operating system.

Well, no.

But figuring out correct handling of time is a challenge for operating
system programmers.

I have no idea how the timing code is in minix3, but I do know
how much time it took me and subsequently Warner to get it right
and good in FreeBSD.

I'll still claim that FreeBSD is a generation ahead of all other
operating systems with respect to timekeeping, if for no other
reason, because FreeBSD is the only OS that truly splits the
nanosecond.