[time-nuts] Msg to N.Z. time nuts

Russell Rezaian rrezaian at motorola.com
Tue May 19 20:15:39 UTC 2009

At 12:58 PM -0700 2009/05/19, Hal Murray wrote:
>USB has a bad reputation, but I think it's way way overblown.  Yes, it's
>polled, but that polling is done in hardware and the time scale is 1 ms.  If
>you are satisfied with an accuracy of a few 10s of ms, USB works fine.  The
>problem is the GPS unit.

And I can confirm that for my very un-scientific experiments I do get
a pretty consistent time sync around 1 MS plus or minus mark from a
USB serial port adapter in best case conditions.  That's with no
special work on a pretty stock consumer grade computer with an off
the shelf USB to serial port.

Even my worst case machine where I expect horrible USB performance
(busy USB 1.x port with other devices, and a CPU that runs at 100%
busy for extended periods of time) I find I things never seem to go
worse than +-50 ms.  Not great, but much better than I was expecting
based on some of the things I had read.

All my tests done with a time oriented GPS receiver.
--
Russell