[time-nuts] HP/Symmetricom 58535A and 58536A

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Wed Nov 4 20:40:13 UTC 2009

Hi Said,

Total gain, noise, VSWR are all factors in getting a good signal from the
antenna into the receiver. Here all components matter - antenna, the
antenna LNA, connectors, type and length of coax cable, splitters and
inline LNAs and the receiver spec.

Good passive splitters behave well, but they will attenuate your signal by
say 6dB (for a 4 output splitter.).

Older receivers (always) have a tighter allowance for which total gain
they will accept. Moderns high sensitivity receivers give much less
trouble in this area.

I did not find the numbers from the Tbolt manual. But look at the vintage
Oncore receivers, and you will find that legacy receivers sometimes only
give you a sub 20dB gain band of total gain. (table 4.1 in below url)

    http://www.wa5rrn.com/Oncore%20GPS/ch4.pdf

Adding (or) substracting 12dB or even 6dB might put your total antenna
(antenna, connector, cable, splitter, etc) system out of spec for your
Thunderbolt. A HS receiver might not even notice this.

Further 6dB extra or less gain does not imply a linear relationship with
signal to noice ratio.

--

    Björn