[time-nuts] LORAN C shutdown

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Nov 9 22:31:00 UTC 2009

Hi Paul!

paul swed wrote:
> Alan
>     Very sorry if I grabbed your thread. I thought I changed the header
>
> I finally found it in the senate votes this weekend.
> The house and senate voted to shut it down and the president signed it.
> (We will save .00002% of the budget)
> The USCG and DHS said they had no need.
> It was very hard to find, its not on the uscg or megapulse site
>
> Changed the header but maybe you can't start threads that way.
> I sure would like to be very very wrong on this subject.

A good overview is most probably that of
http://pnt.gov/policy/legislation/bills.shtml#loran

PNT.gov has other material on the fiscal aspects of GPS, support systems
etc.
http://pnt.gov/congress/

By the look of things it goes silent as of 2010-01-04:
http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/news/administration-ax-falls-pnt-backup-loran-c-9087

The situation in Europe might be different.

Cheers,
Magnus