[time-nuts] The Demise of LORAN (was Re: Reference oscillator accuracy)

Christopher Hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Sat Nov 14 20:40:42 UTC 2009

David I. Emery wrote:
> I have emailed my brother in law who is a rear admiral (I think
> now called a vice admiral) and currently CFO of the USCG (and as a note
> re your alma mater a MIT Sloan grad) and rather loudly said so myself.
> He most likely was part of the group that made the decision... I intend
> to ask him why they did it when I next see him.

David,

I see three possibilities: a) modernization (E-LORAN), b) maintain existing service and capabilities, c) shut it down.

It would be helpful to know if USCG supports the plan to shut the system down.

If USCG does not, those of us who are US citizens can lobby Congress to restore funding for the service.   There's an educational piece here to do.

-ch