[time-nuts] The Demise of LORAN (was Re: Reference oscillator accuracy)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Nov 16 00:13:18 UTC 2009

cfharris at erols.com said:
> What makes you think it needs to be CW, and cannot be pulsed and
> chirped?

> All it has to do is confuse the receiver enough so that you can't
> trust its readings.

Why is pulse or chirp likely to be more confusing per W of jamming power?

I thought the GPS signal was spread spectrum so I wouldn't expect any simple
pulse or chirp to be better at jamming than noise over the appropriate
bandwidth.

If you know the spread spectrum details (which must be public or the receiver
can't listen to the signal), then you might be able to mimic a satellite
signal.  I think that needs the time, so you probably need to listen to the
signal you are jamming.

Am I on the right track?  Is there a trick I'm missing?  (If so, how
complicated is it?)