[time-nuts] The Demise of LORAN (was Re: Reference oscillator accuracy)

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Nov 16 01:31:34 UTC 2009

Magnus Danielson wrote:

> Well, then you have to consider what the potential gain would be from
> such an attack. I fail to see the upside of that particular scenario. It
> would draw the attention over to them and in a field I think they rather
> stay calm about. Their ability to pull it off as such should not be
> doubted, but their resoning for it. Rather inefficient actually.

The Chinese seem to have a difficulty worrying about the ethics of some
of the things they do towards others.  Some simple examples would be the
lead in paints and plastics used in toys, melamine powder in milk, and pet
food, pork flavored cardboard in frozen dumplings, tainted raw ingredients
for heprin, the list goes on and on.

It may not be in the nation's political interests to jam our GPS signals
through toys, or other devices, but ... from what I have seen thus far,
you could easily find several dozen manufacturers in China that would be
willing to turn a blind eye to such a trojan payload in return for a few
bucks.

-Chuck Harris