[time-nuts] The Demise of LORAN (was Re: Reference oscillator accuracy)

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Mon Nov 16 06:27:03 UTC 2009

> Bruce,
>
> I agree with your calculation and conclusion, as far as commercial
> consumer
> GPS receivers are concerned.
>
> A data sheet that was linked in a previous post for an aviation-grade
> commercial GPS receiver indicated resistance to signals -30dBm at the
> receiver input. That is quite considerable, and much better than the
> hand-held consumer units (by 30dB?)

I would be very surprised if "aviation-grade" receivers are better than
your new average handheld Garmin.

> I would expect planes and other potential "high value targets" to have
> receivers of similar performance.

I would expect the opposite, since important receivers - say for timing of
power generation, timing of bankingsystems, etc typically runs forever
often beeing 5 to ten years old before uppgrading.

--

   Björn