[time-nuts] Lady Heather Serial receive Error 0x2

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Tue Nov 17 09:18:38 UTC 2009

Hi.

In your LH shortcut, if you haven't already, you may want to make the
"Start in:" setting, to be the same folder path, as the .exe your
invoking with the shortcut.   That can often (depending on what other
files the .exe needs) make a big difference to performance and
stability.

Right click the shortcut, select properties, and it's the "Start in:"
parameter.   It makes a big difference if you are running Win16 programs
too.   They become much more stable!

If nothing else, it'll force windows to look in it's own folder first
for any needed resources, before searching the machines 'search path'
etc.   Of course, the app can specify the full path to the resource too
if needed.

When an app wants to load a DLL for example, if it is called by name
only, the first place the system looks, is in the same folder as the
calling app, then the windows system32/system folders, then the search
path.  (I cant remember if the DLL Cache is looked at before or after
the system folders.)

You can prove that with multiple DLL's of the same name in critical
places, that each do nothing other than popup a message dialog (each
message being unique to each DLL.)   Quite enlightening to do that sort
of thing at times, then you begin to understand "DLL Hell" if noting
else.

This certainly holds true for all versions of winderz up to and
including XP.

Re the FTDI serial <> USB adapters.  We use them here for all sorts of
comm's and hardware control stuff.  Never had an issue with them.  But
we did have to go to FTDI's site and get the latest drivers, as the ones
on the supplied CD were it seems known to be buggy.  (At that time, the
"Best" ones stability wise, were the "Unsigned" versions.)

We even use the DTR/RTS lines for interface power, control and
signaling!  They work well, unlike some lesser products.   There is at
least one "popular" make, where some of the driver API call's do nothing
but return with a good result code.  In particular, the flush buffer
call's!   (It took us a long time to figure that one out!)

So long as the caling program uses the documented Windows API call's for
serial port stuff (messy though it is) you can have ports from COM1 to
COM255 with 2000 & XP, and they work just fine.

Else, use a third party driver suite, such as Marshallsoft's WSC
collection.  Fast, stable and well documented.  It's worth the
expenditure.   They do versions for all the popular programming
languages, VB, C, Delphi etc.

One thing I have learnt to do with "new code" though, is watch it's
memory usage in Task Mangler (er, Manager) to make sure there is no
creaping excessive useage of ram as time goes by.   Not sure is that is
what's termed a "Memory Leak", but I've seen it sometimes with my own
code, as well as other peoples.    Even with good code, it often takes
an hour or so for things to "settle" and become stable, as far as those
figures in TM go.

I've little experience of Vista, and none of Win7, yet.   It'll be
"interesting" to see if the XP Virtual Machine in Windows 7 Pro', also
handles Win16 stuff OK.   Im not holding my breath for that.

Best Regards.

Dave B.

Message: 7