[time-nuts] OT - GPS and North

Gary Chatters gcarlistaa at garychatters.com
Sat Nov 21 22:57:15 UTC 2009

Mark Spencer wrote:
> Would Time Difference of Arrival techniques combined with an array of four closely spaced antennas work with Gps signals as a means of determing the orentation of the antenna array vs the gps satellites ? (I'm thinking traditional TDOA techniques may not work with gps signals.)

There are commercial products available:
http://www.hemispheregps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=379
http://www.hemispheregps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=412

These devices claim less than 1 degree RMS heading accuracy.

Here the antennas are integrated and a fixed 0.5 meter apart.  They do
(or did) make a board that could be used with separate antennas, but I
can not find it right now.

I have no idea of how the math works for computing heading.

Gary