[time-nuts] Rubidium standard

Marco A. Ferra maferra at gmx.com
Mon Nov 23 19:18:59 UTC 2009

>I was told by a Technical Support Engineer from Symmetricom Global Services
>that
> "The typical life span is ~10 years for these Rubidium Time Bases".
>
> This is in response to my request for information on a Ball/Efratom
> PTB-100.
>
> Is this a typical life span of a rubidium standard?

We had a guy from Pendulum Instruments in our Laboratory that stated that
the life span of Rubidium crystals are between 10 ~ 12 years, so the
information seems to be correct.  I believe that when the rubidium starts to
get older, it loses stability and inversely behaves like the quartz (when
older, the more stable).

Kind regards,