[time-nuts] Thunderbolt reception problems

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Nov 24 07:17:46 UTC 2009

> I just completed a 4 hour run with a Tbolt pimped out with the optimized AMU (1.0), elevation mask (25 deg),  DAC gain
> (3.458 Hz/V), TC (500 sec),  and damping (1.2 ... could be better) settings along with the active temperature control.
> And I wasn't using the fancy pants Sunday go-to-meetin' antenna.   Results were PFDG (pretty freqin' darn good) none
> the less:
>
> RMS of PPS error 2.53 ns,  rms of osc error 14 ps,  rms of temperature error 26 microdegrees C,  max temperature
> deviation 3.7 millidegrees C (not too shabby for a cardboard box, a little waffle foam,  and a PWM modulated fan)

Mark, I like the temperature control. More on that later.

I'd like to see the raw data for the pps and osc figures, maybe
once it gets over 24 hours.

> All values were based  upon the Tbolts self-reported data values.

You realize that when you use self-reported values what you
are measuring is mostly how tight the loop is closed, rather
than the true performance of the TBolt 10 MHz output. For
short tau the TBoltmon/LH self-reported values are misleading
by as much as 100x; but for long tau it's usually within 2x of
the correct value, which is good enough for most people.

But either way, it sounds like your TBolt is doing very well.

One of these days we need to get you a Rb or Cs so you
can take data on the real performance of the TBolt, not just
the self-reported values.

There's an example for you of the difference under:
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/tbolt-tic/

I need to finish that page but even the rough plot tells much
of the story.

/tvb