[time-nuts] Spread Spectrum Spam!

David Forbes dforbes at dakotacom.net
Thu Nov 26 17:03:14 UTC 2009

>Hmph!...   Spread Spectrum clocks do *NOT* make the shielding any
>easier, it's just a fudge for the accountants who won't fund a proper
>job in the first place.   It only "fools" the QP detector in a measuring
>receiver into showing a lower value, it does not "Fix" the problem.

And I thought I was the only person in the world who noticed that bit
of subterfuge. It actually makes EMI *worse*, artificially raising
the test limit by smearing the signal to get past the FCC's spectrum
analyzer-defined peak limit.

The Part 15 limits for such things as the FM broadcast band, on the
other hand, are defined by field strength. That's the only
cheat-proof way to specify emitter power testing.

--

--David Forbes, Tucson, AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/