[time-nuts] LORAN-C demise

Dan Rae danrae at verizon.net
Mon Nov 30 18:28:30 UTC 2009

Mark Spencer wrote:
> Yep... There is some room for experimenation.   As an example looking at some of the results reported from the ARRL Frequency measuring test, it seems that some of the participants are able to determine the frequencies of HF signals progated via sky waves with an accuracy considerably better (maybe two orders of magnitude ?) than common literature would suggest is possible.    Something to do when I retire (:

The last time I did it, in 2003, I got to within 0.1 Hz ( in California)
by dint of averaging by eye and no computer in use, the total variation
was about 1 Hz on 20 meters.  Some sort of computerized logging would
have achieved the same result I'm sure.  Looking at WWV here one sees a
similar picture, up to one cycle of phase shift at 10 MHz, depending a
lot on the time of day.   Given that many amateurs now have frequency
standards several orders of magnitude better than this any FMT that is
not line of sight becomes mainly an exercise in logging and averaging.

Dan

ac6ao / g3ncr