[time-nuts] LORAN-C demise

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Nov 30 19:35:39 UTC 2009

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <4B130E24.6050004 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus Danielson writes:
>> Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>> That particular aspect have been in deep investigation, and so has the
>> M-codes. Their similarity in strength and code separation make the
>> effect less than the gain you get. The BOC code aids to insert signal in
>> the null of the L1 code which causes additional spectral/code division.
>
> I'm told that a lot of people got busy again, after the US' L5
> experiment went haywire...

Yes, but not for that reason. The problem is derived to how the L5
payload was hooked into the antenna array which causes L1 and L2
reflexes due to impedance missmatches. The receiver manufactures have
been trying to figure out how to handle these issues in the receivers.
It's a one off error for that bird. All according to my recollection of
available information.

Cheers,
Magnus