[time-nuts] FreeBSD version

Adam Feigin awf at iis.ee.ethz.ch
Thu Oct 1 12:05:04 UTC 2009

> I guess this might be a little ot for this thread but maybe not.  I'm
> a newbie to all of this stuff but judging from the archives freebsd
> seems to be the OS of choice for these highly accurate NTP servers.
> Why is the case?  Is there something specific to it that makes it more
> suitable for this application than say some of the other BSD's or
> Linux?

Well, FreeBSD had one of the earliest PPSAPI implementations, so its
well tested, and it works extremely well.

Linux still does not have a PPSAPI implementation in the "standard"
kernel. As of 2.6.31, its sort of kinda of halfway there, but not
completely, and I've never been able to get it to work. I'm sure one
can, if ones time in not very valuable.

FreeBSD works right out of the box (okay, you'll need to add the PPS
option to the kernel configuration).

/AWF